Monday, August 9, 2010

The Black Hills of South Dakota


When we found out the Mathews' reunion was in Wyoming this year, my SIL encouraged us to go to Rapid City, SD for a little sightseeing. I wasn't expecting it to be so beautiful and mountainous. I thought SD was nothing but plains and buffalos. The above picture was our home for 4 days- isn't she pretty? We traveled there with Chris' brothers Brent, Scott and his sister Maria. There were 12 of us in the cabin and we fit comfortably in it's 4 rooms. We cooked most of our meals together and enjoyed the pool table, hot tub, and beautiful veiws from the deck.

We drove around quite a bit before we found this buffalo, standing right by the road. I thought it was a statue or something, cause you couldn't see it move for the longest time.
We drove through Bear Country wildlife park and saw everything from bears and wolves to elk and mountain lions. We even witnessed a dumb wolf trying to steal food from a bear- he got smacked pretty good by the bear! They walked right in front of our car. A reindeer almost knocked on our window with its antlers too.

Mt. Rushmore was a highlight for everyone I think. It's amazing how they carved those faces with such amazing detail on the side of the mountain. We did a little hike around the monument so you could see it closer and from all different angles.
Nathan was getting a closer look at Theodore Rosevelt's glasses
Chris' older brother Paul and his family of 9 met up with us there too. This was our whole group at Mt. Rushmore (half of Chris' family). I was pretty proud of myself to get this picture!
Brent and Lindsay have 4 kids and Nathan enjoyed playing outside the cabin with them. They collected scavenger hunt items, had stick fights and played games. We had a couple BBQ's out on the deck and enjoyed the cool mountain air!
So much fun playing with cousins!
These boys are all within two years of each other. We met up with Paul and his family again at Reptile Gardens- picture Sea World, but with reptiles. There were bird, snake and alligator shows and lots of reptiles to look at. These boys touched a baby alligator and snakes along with giant tortoises.
We went down into one of the country's longest caves, Jewel Cave. Jackson was happy for awhile and then he was not so much fun down there anymore. It was pretty cool to see the different formations inside the cave.

You can't go to the Black Hills and not check out the dinosaur museum. There were lots of fossils and bones found in the Black Hills. Meet Stan: one of the largest and most complete skeleton of a T-Rex found in South Dakota. Nathan, as you could imagine, thought this was pretty cool. They also had many other dinosaur bones and a skull of a mammoth.
Jackson being a cute little gold miner at Tunderhead Falls
We did a dinky little hike into an old gold mine to see an underground waterfall. It was a little less than spectacular, but I got a good group shot anyway.
This little train was the highlight of the gold mine. We could have let the kids play here all day!
Well, I'll end for now, but I still have pictures from the second half of our trip. The actual Mathews' Reunion and all we did in the Cowboy State!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Great pics!! Don't you just love cousins? So much fun, and those boys are all so dang cute!

It looks beautiful there, I really miss mountains.

Christen said...

I love traveling! S.D. really is beautiful! your boys are so so cute.

Cindy Swanemyr said...

Great pictures. I am totally proud of you too for getting all those Mathews together for a picture. I'm so glad you all had such a great time. I can just picture Nathan and all his excitement with his cousins and getting to see so many of his favorite things.

Rebecca and Nick said...

I never thought I'd want to go to South Dakota, but I do now! Beautiful! Looks like so much fun. And your kids are so cute.

Christi said...

I love South Dakota!!! It's so pretty. I am glad that you had a good time. Love all the pictures.

Kyle and Eva said...

looks like so much fun! We went to SD when Bailey was a baby, I loved it.. so pretty and Mt R was my fav. We miss you guys too. Bailey is just telling me we need to see nathan again... we never get to see him anymore! We are planning on going to Pioche for labor day but that is the soonest we will be there. you should come out to Pioche and see us! I cant believe how big Jackson is getting.. crazy!

Savanna said...

How Fun! Looks like such a beautiful place.... Nice cool air. That was probably nice for you. I love Nathan with his binocs. So cute.

Holly said...

Awesome trip and wildlife! Between your and my trip I think we covered all the animals. :) Are there lots of buffalos roaming around? I better not drive there, you know my record... :) Miss you!

katy said...

Kara! Your trip looks like it was so much fun!! We went to S.D. a looong time ago - I think I was about 8 - but I still remember going to Mt. Rushmore (I found some cool sparkly rocks) and Reptile Gardens. We have a picture with us sitting on the giant tortoise. :) Your boys are so cute! I bet they loved it all.