Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Coupon deals and steals!

So, I've been learning to coupon these past few weeks.  I took a class all about the "art" of couponing.  I was very skeptical at first but when I tried it and got some good deals, I got all excited.  There are so many people out there who do all the work for you.  There's websites and blogs where people find the best deals around and tell you about them.  Then you link up to "ONLINE COUPONS"- print them for free at home and go to the store and shop!  What's more fun than that?  So, my first shopping trip to Smith's I saved about 50-60%.  I got lots of cereal, brownie mixes, go-gurts, only stuff that I will use.  I shop the store sales every week and buy what's on sale and try to use coupons for those items at the same time.  It makes so much sense- it just takes a little planning.  But the best part is, the websites do all the work for you.  I'm no expert, but I'm learning and it can't hurt to save a little extra money these days.  

So, I heard about this blog today and I decided to go buy some diapers (since I'm about to have TWO kids in diapers, I figured I could use a deal like this).  http://neverpayretailagain.blogspot.com
We went to Walgreens and it totally worked.  I got two packages of diapers and a pack of wipes.  The original price on sale was $10 per pack of diapers and $6 per pack of wipes.  I had two $5 coupons for the diapers and a $3 coupon for the wipes.  So, I got them all for $13 instead of $26.  Then because the original price was over $25/ they gave me a $10 voucher to use on my next shopping trip.  So, basically, I spent like $3 out of pocket, and I'm going to go get another pack for $10 on sale and they will be FREE with my voucher!!  SCORE!!!  This kind of thing gets me really excited if you can't tell.  
Anyways, the blog explains the deal, and I don't know if it the same in every state, but it's so worth checking out.  

That's about all we've been up to.  Nathan is keeping me on my toes more and more every day.  I have no time to sit around waiting for this baby to come.  It's going to be here before I know it (less than 4 weeks away) and I don't feel very ready to be a mother-of-two.  Nathan is really testing my patience and parenting skills these days.  I know that some people (grandmas included) may think that Nathan is an angel all the time, but that has not been the case.  Maybe it's just cause I'm 9 months pregnant and I am tired of chasing him and cleaning up all his messes.   I swear I tell him a hundred times a day not to do something and he does it anyway!  What happened to my sweet baby???  

We've been enjoying some visitors lately and we've got more on the way.  This is the perfect time of year to come to Vegas- the weather is in the 70's most every day and it's just perfect!  Nathan has been able to play with his cousins (Heather's boys and Savanna's kids) and he just loves to have kids to play with.  It's too bad he'll have to wait awhile still to play with his little brother
Well, I feel like I'm rambling now.  I just decided I had something worthy of blogging about and it's been awhile.  Happy shopping!



16 comments:

Emily said...

Yea that was the sweetest deal ever!

You are SO ready to be a mother of 2, and Nathan will be the best big brother ever. Maybe he'll turn into a great little helper! He's 2...my 2 year old is evil also.

James and Katrina said...

Great ideas about saving $$. We have been shopping deals and stocking up as well. With just a few stores here, we don't have many options. As for parenting, hang in there. I'll tell you one thing that I had had 9 years ago---Love and Logic class! Wow! I knew some things from college, but Love and Logic makes sense. Josh is a much happier child and he's obeying me (most of the time). We all seem more calm around here. James and I took the 6 week class together. They are free, so just look it up in your area if you're interested. Good luck with the new baby---how exciting.

James and Katrina said...

I meant to say I wish I had had 9 years ago when I talked about the Love and Logic class.

Matt and Shannon said...

I need to get more excited for coupons - if the time put in equals the savings like you got, then it's worth it. Maybe Nathan just knows he's not going to get as much attention once the baby comes - kids are smart about stuff like that. He will snap out of it. Good luck with these next few weeks!

Cade, Kim, Jadyn said...

K so eveyone has been talking about coupons and great deals. My cousin Angie and I were just having this discussion. I have never been one to use coupons but everyone is getting me convinced. Especially after reading your blog. Anyways, I want to come visit really bad! I can't believe you only have 4 more weeks. I had no idea it was that close. I am super excited!

Christi said...

I love all the good coupon deals!!!!
I think all the 2 year old's try us. I swear I wouldn't go out with Reagan for awhile there, and then there was the couple of months when she was the big bully. But she did grow out of it somewhat, now she is just the normal 2 almost 3 year old :) So there is hope.
You are going to be a great mom to 2!!! Nathan is going to love his little brother, and I can't believe you only have 4 weeks!!!!!!!!

Jackie said...

Swaney - I can't believe you're really getting excited about coupons! You have indeed crossed over. Let's lock Nathan and Milo in a padded sound-proof room and just slip food to them through a hole in the door...at least until they're four.

Heidi Wilcox said...

You always have a ton of comments on your post! You totally inspire me to keep in touch with people better. I'll have to check out the blog. It totally is exciting to score on things like diapers that are usually super expensive. Way to go!

MattJulieGavin said...

I seriously need to start participating in coupon clipping or hunting. It's such a GOOD idea! I'm so dang lazy though. One of these days.
Wow, I can't believe you're that close. I've barely seen you since the word got out, so it went by really fast on MY end. Good luck though. Hope you're feeling good.

Perry Family said...

I love to use coupons!! Its nice to know I'm not the only one doing it these days!!
Good luck with the delivery!! It's exciting and nerving all at the same time!! Can't wait to meet baby #2!!

Sarah said...

I already told you this but great job. You'll love having another boy. it'll be so fun for Nathan.

Kyle and Eva said...

I am glad you are giving coupons a try. Let me know when that baby comes! If you need anything I am here for you! And you will be a great mother of two!

Nate and Brooke Adams Family said...

Wow, I can't believe you are so close to your delivery. Have Cole and Katie had their baby yet? I am so excited for you guys! We won't be going to Dad's house. They are planning on taking their spring break to Mesa and we are going to go down and see them there. How are you doing?

James and Katrina said...

http://pinchingyourpennies.com/

I've been meaning to send you this website. I hope you're feeling well---I will try to call soon.

elisha said...

That is so cool. I have started using price matching at Walmart. Another great savings place if you plan right. The only bad thing is that I have not got the sales in the mail lately. Bummer. I am sure you will be a good mother of 2. How exciting. Remember to keep the spirit of Hawaii 2011 alive! I just showed Phil the video of our adventrous lives in the great land of Hawaii. Hopefully this will all work out!

Aloha for now...

Brownies said...

How are you feeling Kara?
Miss you!