We got an amazing opportunity to go to Hawaii with Chris' brother and his wife. It was perfect timing, a good deal and who can say "no" to Hawaii? I'm so glad we did it! It was just as perfect and wonderful as I remember it and it was so fun to share it with Chris this time. We spent the first 7 nights on the Big Island at a gorgeous 2-bedroom condo with Brent and Lindsay. The location was perfect and the place itself was amazing. We were a 5 minute walk to the beach where we saw turtles EVERY day! We had a kitchen and lanai with BBQ grill so we cooked all of our breakfasts and a couple dinners and ate at the condo. We packed each day with fun and adventures from sun-up till sundown. We covered just about the whole island and felt like we did all the highlights and more. My good friend Mindy still lives there and she shared a day with us in Waipio Valley. It was a great experience- something we probably couldn't have done without knowing a "local". On our way back home, Chris and I stayed another 2 days on Oahu. I couldn't go all the way over there and not go back to Laie and show Chris a few things I love about Oahu. We went to Pearl Harbor, Dukes, the Polynesian Culture Center, the Laie Temple, stayed at Turtle Bay and enjoyed the laid-back life on the North Shore. It was perfect. Of course, all good things must come to an end. Our kids were missing us and we came home to sickness. We will hopefully be able to go back someday and take our kids (when they're older- maybe like 10 more years). Nathan wanted to hear about all the fish and whales we saw and hasn't stopped talking about Hawaii since we got back. I think it would be really fun for him in a few years. There's so much more to see and do, especially on Oahu, we have to go back. I am glad however, that we missed the Tsunami threats. We also missed an eruption at Volcano Natl. park by a few days too! Bummer! I will try not to share too many pictures- but I can't help it!
Laie, Hawaii Temple
Chris up on "The Point" in Laie
Famous Hukilau Beach and Hukilau Cafe
We had the best breakfast at the Hukilau Cafe- French Toast and chocolate chip pancakes!
This was the view from our hotel room at Turtle Bay- gorgeous!
The Luau at Polynesian Culture Center
Samoan Village at PCC
New Zealand village at PCC- one of my favorites!
Looking out over Pearl Harbor
Lunch at Lulu's in Downtown Kona
View of the crater at night. It was crazy, you could hear noises of pieces falling off the side of the crater into the lava below
Inside the Thurston Lava Tube
The view of the crater during the day
Steam vents
Chris and Brent had lots of fun climbing up this huge banyan tree. They pretended to be monkeys and had to climb every tree they saw like this!
Akaka Falls
Our whale watching spot- awesome! We saw so many whales, just driving up and down the coastline. We got a picnic lunch and just pulled over on the side of the road and watched them for hours.
One morning while the boys golfed, Lindsey and I hiked down into Pololu Valley. It was another gorgeous black sand beach- just a few valleys over from Waipio Valley where Mindy took us.
Eating yummy shave ice after our sweaty hike!
Mauna Kea beach- one of the prettiest on the Big Island.
Here's Lindsey eating again- this time a malasada from Tex's. We had to go back a second time for more. They were deep fried donuts, filled with guava, lemon, raspberry and bavarian cream. SO GOOD!
Black sands of Waipio Valley
Our sweet ride down the side of a huge cliff into Waipio Valley- Kimo and Mindy's truck. It was narrow, rough and steep, but so cool.
Here's all of us at the Waipio Valley lookout. Gorgeous!
One of the turtles we hung out with on the beach by the condo. We were seriously about 1 foot away from this guy and his buddy for over an hour!




22 comments:
Ahhhhh, so nice!!! Gorgeous pics, I still can't believe you got to go, that's so amazing! I re-lived our trip through some of your pics and now I want to go back so bad. I love watching the guys climb the coconut trees...crazy! I love turtle bay and Hukilau! No Haleiwa??
The big island looks AWESOME!!! One thing we didn't do when we went was hiking, all that scenery looks gorgeous.
I'm so glad you guys got to go, what a cool experience!!
I am so glad that you guys got to go. I need to go to Hawaii!!! It looks amazing. I am so glad you guys had a good time!
Umm those doughnuts and shaved ice look delish!
So fun! Great post and now this makes me want to go more. That shaved ice looks GOOOOD!
Great pictures. Reminded me of when we were there. We took several in those same spots. Looks so relaxing and I hope you can take Nathan someday. He would LOVE it. So glad you got to get away and relax. You both needed it. Sorry Jackson missed you so much.
I am very jealous and I loved seeing those pictures. It brings back great memories when living at the "chicken house". I'm so glad you got to go and take your husband. I can't wait to take Phil someday. Thanks for sharing the Aloha spirit with us all!
You are SO lucky!!!! I'm glad you missed the Tsunami threats, but I'm totally jealous about everything else! It looks like a blast and Chris is lucky to have someone like you to show him around:)
So glad you guys could get a break...from life, kids, job, Vegas. I'm guessing you did a Temple session - I'm sure Chris doesn't wander around Hawaii in a tie :) I'm sure you were a great tour guide yourself. And Turtle Bay, huh? Must be a good place b/c they give it away as a prize on the "Price is Right."
It looks like you had a blast! Makes me miss it so much!
So happy for you! Hawaii is simply the greatest! And I don't think you have to wait 10 years to take the kiddos! Glad you got to get back there!
opps! That last comment was from Shan - I didn't know Brandon was signed in...haha. But I'm sure he's happy for you to...and incredibly jealous! :)
LOVE all the pictures! I am so glad you went on this trip. It was a much needed break for you guys. It looks like you had a blast and I'm so so glad. It's such a beautiful place. You guys were at the PCC the day after my inlaws. Funny huh?
Oh Kara...so so so so FUN! I loved looking at these!! Brought back some fun memories. I'm so glad you got to go and were able to show Chris around. And I'm glad it was as beautiful and wonderful as you remember.
Wow, those pics bring back some memories! So glad you got to go back and WITHOUT KIDS!! A MIRACLE! I can't wait to take Bill, he has never been. Glad you are blogging again... :)
really? you had to post two pics of me eating! The food was wonderful. Heck the whole trip was wonderful. Thanks for joining us Where are we headed next?!
All I can say is I'm jealous! It brought back memories of when I went a few years ago. Man I'd love to go back. Looks like you guys had tons of fun!
Why have I never been to Hawaii? I need to get there sometime soon! It looks gorgeous, and I can't believe that was the view from your room!! You look great and looks like you had a wonderful time! I will have to get the full story next week.
That looks like such a great trip! How fun that you guys got a chance to get away! Nothing like a break from the kids. I love all your pictures, it looks like you got a chance to do a ton of great things while you were there. See you at lunch today!
Great post, love all the pics. I can't wait to go there, someday... Now when you begin to think Hawaii was perfect remember the bug stories you used to tell me. ha ha! Where's the next couple trip? Think about that when you're back to mundane life my friend. :) Love ya!
Looks like so much fun! I'm totally jealous!
Wow! It made me want to go back. There's still a ton of stuff that we haven't seen. I'm glad you had a good time.
Fun, fun!
I have tears!!! I kind of hate you for this post b/c it makes my heart hurt for the island. I miss it SO BAD! But so AWESOME that you got to go back to the ol stomping grounds and take the hubbers. how special. kahuku for life.
Post a Comment