Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sickness... and sick of it!

For the past week or so, Nathan has not been himself.  He started coughing again which I dreaded cause he had a cough from about Thanksgiving till about a month ago and we've been cough free for one great month!  Then a fever came on shortly after that.  I was afraid it was his ears again so I took him to the Dr last Thurs.  She said his ears were fine but he was wheezing and may have some kind of respiratory infection.  We did a breathing treatment at the office and got put on antibiotics.  After 24 hours of that, he was worse and so were we, cause we were getting NO sleep! We took him back to the DR on Sat. morning and then she found that both ears were infected and his breathing was a little better, but she wanted us to continue the breathing treatments.  She also gave him a shot of antibiotics, which he did not like one bit!  He slept a little better that night, but Sunday night was bad again.  The cough was uncontrollable and keeping us up ALL night again!  By Monday morning I was so physically and emotionally drained, I decided to take him back to the DR.  The fever had not broke and it was the 5th day of it.  I saw my normal DR and that did me no good.  All he gave me was more drugs and more shots and then they drew blood and said go home after waiting 2 hours in that dirty, germ infested office full of SICK kids!!  I was pretty upset by that time.  Last night his fever finally broke and we're still pumping him full of meds to try to combat this cough and crap in his lungs.  I just feel so bad for him.  He's miserable, he hasn't had much of an appetite until today, and he's exhausted (and so am I).  I just miss my happy, little sweet boy with endless energy and fun!  I also miss a good night's sleep without being woke up by his barking cough.  I hate it when kids are sick!  And if any of you could recommend a good pediatrician, that would be just great!  


These pictures are pre-sickness and I have been wanted to share them.  We went to Pump It Up last week and had so much fun sliding and playing basketball.  I get such a good workout there- I should go more often.  Carrying a 30+ pound kid up that slide is no walk in the park!

12 comments:

Alifinale said...

Sick kids are the saddest. I am sorry that he got so sick! It is hard because you want to get mad because your sick kid is driving you crazy but at the same time you feel so bad because you know they aren't feeling good. I hope he gets feeling better soon.

Emily said...

It makes me so happy that he is feeling a little better and that you had a better night last night!

He was making me so sad and I felt so bad for you guys. He needs to get better so we can play some more!

Jenn said...

I am so sorry that he was so sick, but I am glad he finally broke through his fever. I wish we could have been more help. I like our pediatrician, Dr. Heath Hodapp. He is not perfect, but seems to be pretty decent. Good Luck!

Christi said...

I'm so sorry. I hope that he feels better soon. I feel so bad for you guys. Who is your doctor, I just signed up for one near yours and I want to make sure it isn't the same one!!! Good Luck!

Shanalyn Wilde said...

yikes - i hope he keeps feeling better. have you tried giving him (forcing) a spoonful of honey? it has always helped Lincoln calm his coughs, esp at night. I loved the ped.DR we finally found there (Dr. Bakerink) - he's the only DR. at Wee Care Peds.(Durango & Trop) & he has 2 PAs that work with him, they were great as well. Good Luck!

C Crane said...

Hope he feels better soon. My boys had the same thing last week. It is terrible and there is not much that you can do about it but wait it out. So sorry!

Anonymous said...

No fun. Sorry he has been so sick. Hope it gets better sooner than later. We do to Dr. Hodapp too and I really like him. Good luck!

Kersina and Ryan said...

sorry to hear about your sick little guy. hope he's feeling better soon! i love your blog!

The Prigmore Family said...

Oh Kara! I feel for you. Trust me I KNOW what it's like to have a sick kid. Don't worry, your little boy will be running around causing trouble again before you know it. We've got a great ped. here in san diego. You should just move out here and try her out!

Dani said...

i hope he feels better soon -- did the medicine help??

Jess and Matt said...

Poor little guy...and poor you! It is so hard to see your baby feeling so awful, especially when you are just totally drained. I Hope that things are on the up-and-up, and will be better from here on out. Good luck!

Savanna said...

That is SO sad. I am sorry you have such a rough week. We kinda had a rough week too, but not like that so I will quit complaining about my week. :) I hope he gets feeling better soon. Sick kids is NOT fun! And way too stressful for us Moms.