Monday, January 21, 2008

ER

Well some of you know this story, but for those of you who don't I'll fill you in.  On Sat. morning when Chris came home from the Caucus, he started feeling like he was getting a migraine.  I guess he got them pretty bad when he was a kid, but he hasn't had one in over 10 years.  The first thing he said was he couldn't see and his vision was all blurry and his hands were going numb and so was his face.  This kind of freaked me out cause that also sounds like a stroke or something really serious.  He mentioned that this was something he's felt before.  I told him to go lay down and rest.  Well, it got worse and worse and he started throwing up.  I asked him if I could do anything and he was pretty willing to do ANYTHING to help him feel better.  I called some guys in the ward to give him a blessing- thanks Brian and Nate.  Then I decided to take him to Quick Care.  Thanks to my wonderful and sweet friend Emily for coming over to take care of Nathan all night! We got to Quick Care and Chris threw up about 10 more times in the parking lot before we got in. We didn't have to wait too long to get in, but Chris was getting worse by the min.  He was miserable.  He was getting so mad at the nurse when she was taking his blood pressure.  Everyone was asking him questions and he couldn't even understand them or talk.  I was trying to answer for him, but he seriously couldn't even think.  Finally they gave him a shot for the pain and one for the nausea, cause by this time he was just dry heaving.  They said the meds should take about 30 min to kick in.  Well, after over an hour, they still weren't helping and he was no better.  They decided to transport him to the ER in an ambulance.  I was kind of freaking out by this time.  I felt so helpless.  So, I followed them to UMC hospital and then it was another waiting game.  They got him in a bed right away, but we were sitting in a hallway waiting for a room to wait for a DR.  That place was a mad house!  I am so mad at myself for not taking him to the ER at the brand new, nice hospital right down the street from our house!  We sat in the hall for 4 hours before we got a room.  He started feeling a little better and tried to sleep but it was pretty noisy and busy.  The DR finally came in around 10:00 and asked the same questions and said they were going to run some tests.  It was another 4 hours before we heard from him or anyone else for that matter.  Oh, except for the drunk guys they put right next to us!  They found this guy on some street corner and he was so intoxicated that he didn't even know his name or anything!  He was screaming and shouting obscenities at the nurses and he was fighting them so bad they had to restrain him.  He continued yelling and cussing for several hours.  It was just what Chris needed right next door. Around 2:30 AM they took a CAT scan of Chris' head and about 1 1/2 hours later we got the results back that it was normal.  They wanted to do another test, but we decided not to do it, cause Chris was feeling better and ready to go home.  They wrote him a prescription for Migraines and said we could go soon.  That was the longest wait and I was about to have a Meltdown cause I was so tired and uncomfortable and so was Chris.  We finally got out at 4:00AM.  Luckily Chris' parents drove 3 hours from Panaca to see him and help out with Nathan, so Emily could go home.  Long story and long night.  Chris is much better now, we just hope that he doesn't have to go through that again.  I learned my lesson about ER's and how I never want to go to that one again.   I just don't understand how the DR's and Nurses can be so not-helpful.  They don't even act sympathetic or try to be helpful.  Some of them don't even treat you like a human being.  They paid more attention to the drunk guy than someone who was not being obnoxious!  I was pretty upset and emotional and about to go off on someone!  Anyways, thanks to Emily, Steve and Easton for taking such good care of Nathan.  Thanks Sarah and Preston for all your support and for coming to see us at UMC.  Thanks for all your prayers and love and to Chris' parents for coming down to help us out!  We love you all and hope we can repay you someday!   

12 comments:

Emily said...

We loved being able to play with Nathan...seriously, it helped us, because I wasn't at home with a whiny kid, and Easton was having a blast!

I am SO glad that he is feeling better and that you were able to figure out what it was...even if it was a really long night.

Christi said...

How scary!!! When we get back, let us know if we can do anything. Reagan would love to have Nathan come over and play!!!! And we have grass that they can play in! Hope you guys are all feeling better.

Alifinale said...

Man...what a nightmare. I am so sorry for you guys. How horrible to feel so sick and in pain and not be able to do anything about it. I hope it doesn't ever happen again. Please don't hesitate to call if you ever need anything again.

Sarah said...

I'm glad it turned out ok but how miserable it was there at UMC!!!! ugh Preston and I both felt like we were filthy dirty when we left there and that we for sure caught some wierd disease! I'm glad we could come and give you a little moral support. Even if it was just a few chicken nuggets! lol.

Bringhursts said...

Oh my gosh, how scary! I hear nightmare stories like this all the time about the hospitals here. I'm glad he's feeling better.

Dani said...

What an awful ordeal... I hope everything is okay.

Jess and Matt said...

Oh NO! That is so awful. I am glad that everything eventually got taken care of and figured out, but holy cow. I am so sorry you had to go through all of that!

Jenn said...

Wow, I had no idea. I am so sorry, that sounds so crazy. I get mirgranes also, but I have never had one that bad(mine usually end at the throwing up part). I can't even image how scary that was for both of you. I also hope that you never have to deal with that again.

Shanalyn Wilde said...

Woe! I can't believe it, that is so crazy! I'm glad it was nothing more serious. Stay away from the scary hospitals...hopefully the new ones are better! I'm glad Chris is doing better. Hopefully you both recovered from the sleepless night.

Savanna said...

I am glad Chris is doing better. I was so sad we weren't able to meet up. Oh, well life happens right? Hopefully in march. Love you!

Jen Lee said...

That horrible! You must have been so freaked out! I haven't heard of anyone yet who's had a good hospital experience here. I hope you never have to do that again!

Jeana said...

That is so scary!! I know the feeling of waiting and not having a clue what is going on. I had to take Fernando into the ER one night also and after 4 hour of not knowing anything they came out and told me that he was a keeper and they were admitting him and that he was having surgery in the morning to remove his gull stones. Yah they seriously need to work on their 'people skills' I am glad he is doing better.